Saturday, December 22, 2007

Writing, for the Chatterbox Chic

PhotobucketWriting works for me because I talk so much. I can't help it, always have been a big mouth. And the thing about talking so much is it makes demands on the listener. If you don't listen, you're rejecting the speaker. But with writing, I can talk through the keyboard or pen and then the reader decides to listen on his/her terms - when, how long, where. It's a more considerate form of communication. And it takes it back to the old school, pre-phone and tv when people read when they were ready to take something in. Aight, so I've made my peace with writing, embraced it, now I'm computer bound and, like the rest of the First World, my eyeballs are bugging out of my head from following this digital line.
Photobucket
Photobucket
I will pay my bills with words. It makes sense for a blabberhead like myself. I'm a lucky yapper. But here I'll write to you all for when you feel like entering the evezone and hanging out with me and Kasha here, down South.
Photobucket
Photobucket
This week was working in Spanish at a real estate agency downtown, getting hired at a bilingual middle school in Belgrano where the unpoor people are, going to my first Argentine wedding with Maxi, saying goodbye to my favorite Italian chica, working on rewriting a TV pilot script for an Anglophile audience, doing voice overs, and writing piles of articles for a website out of Atlanta, Georgia. Sounds like a lot when you write it out like that, but life really is slow mo outside of NYC.
Photobucket
Argentine weddingPhotobucketPhotobucket
Adele's last night of Tango before heading back to Italy

Photobucket Tonino Carotone
Photobucket
My friend Vicky and I went to see Tonino Carotone at Niceto in Palermo Hollywood. Tonino is the great '60's Italian ballad singer and entertainer extraordinaire. Except that he's actually from Barcelona and was born after the sixties. This video gives you the idea - "Me Cago en la Amor," which translates as "I take a dump on love" more or less. With lyrics like, "It's a difficult world. Why should I believe in love when she abandons me right when I'm at my best? Between you and I, it's not the couple's fault, it's Love. I don't want to suffer but here I am suffering and I take a dump on Love." (Writer's note: I do not want to "take a dump on love." I don't currently identify with Tonino's lyrics in the least. But I like him - he's funny.)

Photobucket
Kasha went all Requiem For a Dream on this new cat food that isn't good for her. It's her meth. She doesn't want to eat anything else now and it's garbage so we're duking it out over the crackfood. Max is recording a new record with his band and got offered an additional radio show at one of the two stations where he works. So he'll be even more busy than he already was. Dude sleeps 4 hours a night mostly. He hooked us both up to deejay different nights at this great spot near our hood. I wrote about it a couple weeks ago.

They're doing a series on music eras and Max chose blaxploitation, songs from the films. I think I'll do blue grass from the thirties first, since I got to rip some great old recordings from a friend while I was staying in Greenpoint last month. He had a compilation box set of songs about tragic disasters in US history - drought, the Depression, the Titanic. The next release in the series will be the Evangelistic backlash - "The Gospel According to Terrorism" - and will cover the hostage crisis of the US economy in the hands of the Christian Right. Mostly Sage Francis and Lupe Fiasco tracks.
Photobucket
Did I tell you how crazy it was when I deejayed at this bar I like two weeks ago?
It was so hectic I didn't think about taking them up on the offer to be their resident Tuesdays. Too much drug pushage - on me, I mean - and madness nonstop with my computer subjected to full cocktails hovered over the keys in the hands of drunk, attention ravaged, mercafiends. Not a good look for the cash-poor girl and her gimpy computer (I dropped it off the bed back in the basement in NYC and it's been gimpy ever since with the screen falling to the left. Just like my back, lol).
Photobucket
We had our housewarming party last weekend and it was cool. Guy that created Gawker was here visiting Buenos Aires and he and a couple of other New York City media rockstars came by for an Argentine houseparty experience. It was the most mellow party I've ever been responsible for but it was nice. Still so weird getting used to being an adult. I'm making up for it by making 21 year-old girl friends left and right though. I like them, and they probably have a higher tolerance for someone who hasn't mastered the language yet or something. Plus they're so cute!
Photobucket
Hey, I figured out I had limited comments to blogspot users for some reason. Now it's open - if you get the urge to holleratchergirl.
Photobucket
News is I may have a real job with real income for the first time in too long to admit. As web editor on a US salary, I'll be a person again, as far as capitalism is concerned. Unlike most of the people dealing with the horribly backward economy here. Which is a rant for another day.

No comments: